Saturday, March 5, 2011

Starting to move towards "4.5" / A partir de avanzar hacia "4.5"

From the Earth and Spirit Center website:

ENGLISH:  Imagine if the Earth were divided equally among all of us.  Each person would receive 4.5 acres.  Now imagine that EVERYTHING you need -- food, energy, home, clothing, gadgets - must come from those 4.5 acres. 

Quite a challenge indeed to consider what it might be like if I used only my fair share of the earth's resources, i.e. 4.5 acres.  How would my life be different if I down-sized from the current 22.3 acres that it takes to maintain the average American lifestyle?   Do I say, "Yikes!  Impossible" and throw up my hands and walk away?  Or do I begin to realize that moving in the direction of 4.5 is essential for anyone walking in the footsteps of Jesus today?

De la página web del Centro de la Tierra y Espíritu: 
  
ESPAÑOL:  Imagina si la Tierra fuera dividida en partes iguales entre todos nosotros. Cada persona recibiría 4.5 hectáreas. Ahora imagina que TODO lo que necesitas - alimentos, energía, vivienda, ropa, aparatos - debe salir de esas 4.5 hectáreas.

Es un verdadero reto el considerar lo que podría ser, si yo usara únicamente la parte que me corresponde de los recursos de la tierra, o sea, de mis 4.5 hectáreas. ¿Cómo sería distinta mi vida, si hiciera la reducción de las actuales 22.3 hectáreas necesarias para mantener el estilo de vida estadounidense promedio? ¿Digo "¡Válgame! Es imposible" y levanto las manos y me voy? ¿O empiezo a darme cuenta de que inclinarse hacia las 4.5 hectáreas es fundamental para cualquier persona que siga las huellas de Jesús hoy?

No comments:

Post a Comment