Register to receive weekly e-mail news from FREEDOMUNITED One Voice Against Modern Slavery www.freedomunited.org
Join the largest anti-slavery movement in the world. One of the current FREEDOMUNITED campaigns is “CoreCivic: Help stop forced labor in the U.S. prison & detention system”
The United States is home to the largest prison system in the world, housing 25% of the world’s prisoners but only 5% of the global population, and spends more than $80 billion a year. Incarceration rates in the United States have increased by 700% in the last four decades, even though crime has dramatically decreased. Among those incarcerated, more than 60% are people of color. And Black men are six times more likely to be incarcerated than white men.
This system of mass incarceration – at a rate per capita that surpasses every country on earth – is inherently discriminatory, disproportionately affecting communities of color while creating a never-ending pool of people to be exploited through forced labor in prisons and detention centers across the country for corporate gain.
Help stop forced labor of detainees. Click here to learn more and sign that petition https://www.freedomunited.org/advocate/forced-labor-detention/
US CATHOLIC SISTERS AGAINST HUMAN TRAFFICKING
You can donate and encourage your friends and family to donate to support US Catholic Sisters Against Human Trafficking work providing direct services to survivors of human trafficking, advocating for laws and policies to protect victims and hold traffickers and johns accountable, and creating educational content to prevent human trafficking.
In August US Catholic Sisters Against Human Trafficking will be encouraging everyone to meet with their elected officials while they are on recess and back home in their in-district offices. You can get a head start on preparing for those meetings by reading up on our focused piece of legislation: The Central American Women and Children Protection Act.
USE SOCIAL MEDIA TO EDUCATE OTHERS | United Nations
Take action on social media by sharing the World Day material and using the official hashtags #EndHumanTrafficking and #HumanTrafficking.
1. #HumanTrafficking happens all around us every day worldwide. Everyone can play a vital role to #EndHumanTrafficking #BeAlert #BeAware #BeResponsible #TakeAction and raise awareness of this atrocious crime.
2. Whether in our workplace or in your everyday or private life – If you see something that you think might be a case of #HumanTrafficking #inform the police. #BeAlert to #EndHumanTrafficking
3. Every community& person in every country can be confronted with #HumanTrafficking. Many national authorities and non-governmental organizations are involved in anti-trafficking work and there is a wealth of information available online. #BeAware to #EndHumanTrafficking
4. Social media is increasingly used to contact, recruit & lure victims into the arms of traffickers who promise a bright future, successful career and a decent earning. BeAlert to #EndHumanTrafficking in cyberspace and report signs of #HumanTrafficking
5. #DYK – Social media is increasingly used to contact, recruit & lure victims into the arms of traffickers? Let’s use those same platforms to raise awareness and #EndHumanTrafficking. Save in your phone and share the national #humantrafficking hotline (888) 373-7888.