These actions from the Catholic Climate Covenant will bring us some ideas to our own actions on Laudato Si’ Week.
Look at this list of possible climate actions you might consider taking as an individual and/or as a community. These actions can help lower your carbon footprint or make yourself and others aware of climate vulnerabilities. Feel free to add your own ideas.
• Calculate my carbon footprint and commit to reduce it by at least 10% in 2020
• Refuse disposable plastic bottles, bags, straws, cutlery and cups! Say NO to single-use plastic.
• Walk, cycle, carpool, or use public transport
• Plant pollinator-friendly flowers and spread wildflower seeds.
• Switch to renewable energy
• Go meatless on Mondays and/or Fridays (at least)
• Reuse, recycle, lower my consumption of resources
• Use less water
• Speak to my elected officials about climate change
• Fly less and offset travel when possible
• Plant at least two trees in 2020
• Wash clothes in cold water and hang-dry clothes
• nstall a programmable thermostat
• Replace appliances with Energy Star-rated ones
• Replace incandescent and compact fluorescent lights with LED lights
• Reduce my food waste
• Compost leaves and food waste
• Start conversations about climate change with family and friends
• Support youth-led climate movements
• Start/join a Creation Care Team in my parish or school
• Begin conversations about climate change with family and friends
• Pray for our common home and all Earth protectors
• Participate in public witness events that lift up care for creation.
• Other (name it)
a) Take the St. Francis/Laudato Si’ Pledge.
b) Make a pledge of how you will take climate action in 2020.
My 2020 climate action pledge is...
As you make your 2020 Climate Pledge(s), please pray:
Creator God, grant us the wisdom to better care for the earth.
Help us to act now for the good of future generations and all your creatures. Help us to become instruments of a new creation,
Founded on the covenant of your love.
(Adapted from Cry of the Earth in Jesuitresource.org)
c) Go online and submit your pledge so we can gather them and lift-up how the Catholic community is taking climate action. Submit your 2020 Climate Pledge(s) here: https://catholicclimatecovenant.salsalabs.org/EarthDayPledges
To get more information for each of these actions go to: