Monday, April 2, 2012

Water: Is safe drinking water an issue in the U.S.?

From the AlterNet / ByTara Lohan / March 21, 2012
5 Deadly Threats to Our Precious Drinking Water Supply
World Water Day is a chance to stop and realize that humanity is facing a frightening water crisis.
If you brushed your teeth this morning or flushed the toilet or had a cup of coffee, consider yourself lucky. Actually, if you turned on your tap and potable water freely came out, consider yourself truly blessed. Because so many of us in the United States are in this situation it can be easy to forget that nearly 900 million other people aren't so lucky. It can be easy to forget that globally we face a frightening water crisis. And it can be hard to notice that even here in the US there are dire threats to our water supply right now. READ MORE

CLICK HERE for a more global perspective: "Why the Right to Water is Under Attack" by Shiney Varghese.

4 comments:

  1. This really hit me hard. I never take the minute when I doing all the daily routines that involve water to think that I am very fortunate. There are a million people out there that aren't even able to get a drink of "clean" water. Thanks for opening my eyes a little wider.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are currently learning about water all over the world in my composition class this semester so I sort of know about what it said in this blog. Although, I did not realize how bad it was expanding and how the water is getting less and less each day. I just want to thank you for your interesting facts that showed me things in a deeper perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is really eye opening. I am so glad that you posted this Jean. Thank you. It has not only reminded me that I take things for granted, but that I should do something to help. There are so many people all over the world that are in need of the basic necessities of life that we in America so easily take for granted. If I am capable to make a change then I should be willing. Thank you for the wake up call. My mission is to help others!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know water was such a valuable thing to have. I knew that there have been some water restrictions in a few areas but I didn't think it was as serious problem. I try to conserve water as much as possible but with the water problems we have more people need to do this as well.

    ReplyDelete