In order to respond to the cries of the earth, which are also the cries of the poor…
The Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word care for the common home by ensuring that the materials and refreshments used in all activities are environmentally friendly.
What does that mean? How can you help reach this goal?
If you are going to organize an event, keep these tips in mind:
- Buy or serve food and drink items that are local and seasonal. If you are going to offer coffee and tea, make sure there are fair trade options to choose from.
- Use cups, glasses, plates, and silverware that can be washed and reused; or if you use disposable plates/cups then make sure they can be recycled or composted.
- Choose to serve food in a buffet style to eliminate extra packaging and trash.
- Serve less meat options. Make sure there is always at least one plant based protein option available (beans, nuts, lentils, etc).
- Install and/or insure easy access to water jugs or water fountains to encourage the use of reusable water bottles and eliminate plastic water bottles. Please NEVER use styrofoam!
- Avoid using materials like tropical wood, metal, and non-recyclable plastics.
- Try to minimize the amount of printed material, offering electronic options instead. If you must print out materials use recycled paper, print on both sides, and use environmentally friendly ink.
How will we begin to implement this?
- Identify and share information about vendors who offer environmentally friendly products.
- Educate yourself and buy local or fair trade products in your city.
- Adjust your budgets for the coming year since many environmentally friendly products can be more expensive.
Please keep in mind:
- Make those attending active participants and inspire them to personally take action to be more sustainable (for example bringing their own reusable water bottle to your event).
- Share the actions you are taking to be more sustainable with all those in attendance at the beginning of the event.